A Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) report on ladder safety released statistics on the number and seriousness of ladder-related accidents in the United States. Every year, thousands of people are injured and hundreds are killed.
Ladder Accident Statistics
- More than 90,000 people receive emergency room treatment from ladder-related injuries every year
- Elevated falls account for almost 700 occupational deaths annually
- These deaths account for 15% of all occupational deaths
- OSHA believes 100% of all ladder accidents could be prevented if proper attention to equipment and climber training were provided
- Over the last 10 years the amount of ladder-related injuries has increased 50%
- According the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 50% of all ladder-related accidents were due to individuals carrying items as they climbed
These statistics are staggering and a good reminder for why we need to keep teaching about ladder safety.